Friday, February 19, 2010

All Time Family Favorite - Red Beans and Rice


My daughters ballet practice is right before dinner once a week. I always have a hard time that day thinking, hmmm what should I make for when we get home? One recipe that is always my standby is Red Beans and Rice. My two daughters and my husband just love it. It is so easy to make and I always make sure that I have the ingredients on hand.


Red Beans and Rice
1 (16 oz) can kidney (red) beans, drain the can and then rinse the beans
1 package of turkey sausage. You can also use polish sausage or other types of sausage. Slice the sausage in nice size bites.
1 onion chopped
2 T butter
2 carrotts - slice them into nice size bites.
2 stalks of celery - finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of basil
To taste - red pepper flakes and salt
3 cups of quick brown rice

Saute the sausage in 1 inch pieces (I sometimes cut the sausage slices in half as well, so that my two year old daughter can eat it a little easier). After the sausage has been cooked, add the garlic, onions, carrots, celery, basil, red pepper flakes and salt. Saute a little longer until the onions are translucent and your vegetables are also the desired tenderness your family enjoys.

In the meantime while you are sauteing the above, cook your quick brown rice. When your brown rice is done, toss in your sauted items above, red beans and toss together. You are ready to serve.

* Sometimes, I will add more carrots and celery just to add a little more variety. I have also added black beans with the red beans and rice recipe. It is a nice change. If you add them, be sure to rinse and drain the black beans so that you do not have the additional liquid to the rice. I also add the black beans at the end.





2 comments: